Saint Isabel

NAME – St Isabel of France
BORN – March 1224
DIED – February 1270
PATRON SAINT OF – helping the sick and needy
CANONIZED- 1696 by Pope Innocent XII
FEAST DAY – 26th of February

PRAYER
O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being loved, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being honored, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being praised, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being preferred to others, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being consulted, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being approved, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being despised, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of suffering rebukes, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being calumniated, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being ridiculed, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being wronged, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being suspected, deliver me, O Jesus.

That others may be loved more than I, grant me the grace to desire it.
That in the opinion of the world, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may increase and I may decrease, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be praised and I unnoticed, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be be preferred to me in everything, grant me the grace to desire it.

WHAT I THINK THE PRAYER MEANS
To want to be kind, caring and giving because it is what you want to do in your heart and not just because you want to be praised for doing it. To do things in the world without worrying what people think of you, and to not be afraid of what can happen to you. To put others before yourself and to wish more good things for other people than yourself.

INFO
Saint Isabel is the daughter of King Louis X111 of France. She lived in the royal castle for most of her young adult life, but she didn’t act like a royal. The meals that were given to her she declined and instead had smaller meals that made her starve, and sometimes didn’t eat at all. The clothes, furniture and everything a princess could have, she didn’t want given to her, and with all she could’ve had she gave to the more needy. Saint Isabel spent all her time helping the poor. Isabel got very sick herself and eating such a small amount of food made her stomach pain even worse.

Saint Isabel refused to marry Conrad, the son of Emperor Fredrick II who her family chose for her. Since she refused to marry him, stories say that god punished her with her long sickness. There were many important and rich men who wanted to marry Isabel but she refused them all so that she could continue to serve God.

When Saint Isabel moved out of the royal castle she started the Convent of the Humility of the Blessed Virgin. Isabel and all the sisters spent every day doing charity work and helping the poor especially who are sick. Their mission was to serve the poor in love and they would never take any reward or praise for doing it. She was asked to be the leader of the convent, but that would mean she would lose all of her royal wealth. Even though she didn’t want it for herself she wanted to use it for her charity work so she refused to be the leader of the convent. She lived by herself near the the convent instead, and managed it from there. Even though Isabel continued to be constantly sick she never stopped her charity work because she believed this was what God wanted her to do and nothing was more important to her .

She had many visions from God and knew the day and hour that she was going to pass away which actually made her very happy because she wanted to be with her Lord. She died when she was 43 and she was buried in the convent which she started.
WHY I CHOSE THIS SAINT
I chose Saint Isabel because I thought it was very kind that she took her life just to help all the poor and she didn’t want any praise and she just wanted to be humble and she stood up for what she thought was right and she stayed with God. This is also special to me because we were born in the same month and she has a very pretty name.